Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Echoes in the Night Review

I'm a Titanic buff. I admit it. I'm sure it was spurred by the film, but once I got into learning more about the real disaster, my interest was piqued and I began collecting volumes of work on the subject. I don't always read as much as I'd like about the disaster, but I do check into Encyclopedia-Titanica frequently to see what's new and I try to catch all documentaries I can whenever they're on tv.
I picked up this slim volume written by Frank Goldsmith almost a year ago and decided it would make a good, quick summer-time read. While learning nothing new, I did find it interesting to read the impressions of the then 9 year old Goldsmith as he made it onto the last lifeboat launched. Mr. Goldsmith was not an author, but he did do a credible account of giving his tale, and a bonus for me was the included correspondence between his mother and some of her fellow survivors that showed the sort of aid received from many organizations but not the White Star line. I also liked reading about Goldsmith's attempts to correct the seemingly erroneous assumption that the captain of the Californian, a ship known to be in the area, deliberately chose not to go to the aid of the Titanic, thus ensuring the great loss of life. This is recommended reading for all who are still, nearly 100 years on, fascinated with this ship and its demise.


Here's the link to my amazon review: http://tinyurl.com/38opn7


~taminator40

No comments: