Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The Sugar Queen


I finsihed Sarah Addison Allen's The Sugar Queen last night. After reading and liking Garden Spells by the same author, I was hoping this one would be just as good. And it is good, but somehow I didn't feel as engaged with it as I did with Garden Spells. It's not really anything I can put my finger on; the writing is similar, and the story's similar, with magical realism and failed relationships driving the plot. I get the feeling that I should have enjoyed it more than I did. Still, I gave it four stars on my amazon review, rounding up from the 3.5 I actually feel it should have earned. You can check out that review by visiting http://www.amazon.com/review/R23CD7ZWO6I3UC/ref=cm_cr_rdp_p. And keep in mind that it could just be me with my very high expectations and not the book itself at all.
~taminator40

1 comment:

Andi said...

Picked this one up at the library yesterday, and I'm looking forward to reading it. I also can't wait to get my paws on the Troost book you have listed now! I love his stuff.