Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Monday, July 28, 2008

The Luxe Review


Having committed the cardinal sin of reading these books out of order, I can still highly recommend The Luxe by Anna Godbersen as good fun, even if it does indeed have some stereotypical characters who often act out of the norm for the historical times. Set in 1899 New York, we follow the lives of society girls Elizabeth, Diana, and Penelope; one is in love with a servant, one is in love with her sister's fiancee, and one is out to get it all for herself. How they accomplish their goals--or don't--is great good fun, a young adult chick lit that certainly is a page-turner. There are nitpicky things, of course: Is anyone truly good? How is it that no one gets pregnant with all the sex? Those are indeed good questions that the author does need to reveal in future sequels.
I enjoyed this one despite knowing ahead of time what is going to happen in the sequel. I am eagerly awaiting the third in the series because I foresee interesting things ahead for all three girls. Come on, January!
My amazon review is found at http://www.amazon.com/review/R42GVES09HRWH/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm. I hope you'll visit to see a fuller review of this very interesting young adult novel.
~taminator40

1 comment:

Andi said...

I have one of these books, Rumors I think, on my review pile. Hadn't given it much of a look, but I'll go back to it now!