Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Stardust


Stardust is a little gem of a novel, an imaginative story of a boy searching for a fallen star in order to impress the girl he "loves". Set mostly in the land of Faerie, it's peopled with lots of strange creatures, some helpful and some malevolent; Tristran (our hero) must learn to navigate his way among them, discovering that perhaps his own heritage is going to lead him in a way he'd never expected.
It took me a while to get into this story for some reason. I wanted to love it from the get-go, but it just didn't capture me at first like I'd hoped. However, perhaps 100 pages in, I found the story picking up and the adventures becoming more interesting. I still think the story itself could have been fleshed out more, and I do think some of the things involved were thrown in to pad the story along. But overall, it's pretty delightful, and Gaiman's twists are superb. I reviewed it more fully at amazon at http://tinyurl.com/3dxsk6.
~taminator40

No comments: