Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Friday, August 01, 2008

The Rest Falls Away by Colleen Gleason

I wanted to love The Rest Falls Away by Colleen Gleason. Several of my friends had read it and raved about it, so I was prepared to be swept away (even if it is the story of a vampire hunter, rather than a vampire). Unfortunately, this book just never captured me the way I'd hoped. I wanted to love Victoria Grantworth, kick-ass Venerator in Regency England, but I kept feeling compelled to poke holes in the story ("How could she get away with that? Why isn't she more tired?"). I wanted to fall in love with the Marquess of Rockley, who was in love with Victoria, but instead just found him a so-so match who really didn't know what he was getting into (and then he *really* disappointed me toward the end). I could not stand the three "mothers" Victoria found herself saddled with; I kept picturing the three witches from the movie Hocus Pocus. I wanted more depth; I wanted darker. When vampires go "Poof!" when they are staked, somehow it just takes the wind out of my sails.


Did I mention the bellybutton rings? Okay, okay, I know that's not what they ARE, but hey, technically, I'm right.


I did like some of the story, and found the teaser chapter of the next book, Rises the Night, (which I own), to be very intriguing. I want to see how Victoria's life goes on now that her secret has cost everything dear. I think the series has potential, but the first book failed to realize it completely.


A more in-depth review from me can be seen on amazon at http://www.amazon.com/review/R3EBK3RAYIJKNK/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm.


Now I'm going to do my best to zip through a short young adult novel tonight because as soon as I get up tomorrow, I'm going to get Breaking Dawn, which will occupy my time and mind until I finish it.

~taminator40

1 comment:

Bookfool said...

Awww, I want everyone to love Colleen's books, but maybe it was the wrong moment or they're just not right for you. That happens! I'd take a break before reading Rises the Night and then maybe you'll know for sure.