Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Evernight

I just finished Evernight by Claudia Gray for the Amazon Vine program; I'd seen it in bookstores but wasn't sure if I wanted to spend my money on it, so I was pleased when it was offered through the program. I'm also pleased to say that Evernight was indeed very good; I liked the world Gray created and I especially am a fan of the surprise she landed on me about halfway through (how did I not see that coming??). Set in modern times, we follow sixteen year old Bianca as she's forced to enroll in Evernight Academy when her parents take teaching jobs there. Immediately Bianca feels out of place since most of her classmates seem not only beautiful, but snobbish and cliquish. So of course she instantly falls for the rebellious Lucas, who though good looking, seems to be so much more normal than the other students. But Bianca's still not feeling a part of things, and odd occurrences start to make her realize that she's going to have to make some strong choices.

I liked this one well enough to recommend it; it's a good supernatural entry in the young adult category, with some interesting twists and turns. I did find a couple of the plot points a bit silly, but those can easily be set aside as overall, this is good first book in what I believe is a four book series that's planned. You can visit my more comprehensive review at http://www.amazon.com/review/RQB4WTRL6UXKF/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm.

BTW, I have to express wonder at the fact that I posted a review of Juliet's Moon by Ann Rinaldi last Wednesday to Amazon, and it's yet to show up. I can't imagine what the hold up is, since it's a pretty tame Civil War young adult novel, while Evernight has some fairly bold sexual situations that I mention in my Amazon review. Who knows?

~taminator40

3 comments:

Andi said...

I don't think there's much rhyme or reason to Amazon's posting of reviews. I've had similar things happen before.

Teddy Rose said...

Great review Tammy!

I am so annoyed with Amazon right now. It has been weeks since I re-posted a review and they still haven't put it up yet.

Andi said...

Finished it tonight (10/11/08) and LOVED IT. Loved. Was really surprised by that twist. You should've heard my jaw hit the floor. I kept trying to figure out how I'd missed it, too! lol