Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Thursday, February 28, 2008

When You Can't Say Much of Anything Nice...

The first half of Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith is good; I was grooving along to the story of a teen in love with a werewolf, helping to revitalize her family's restaurant by developing a vampire theme, enjoying myself. If it wasn't as good as some of the other books I've read in the vampire genre, it was still pretty good. And then...it took a major turn wherein people we thought we knew not only acted improbably, they changed personalities, going from benign to evil in the flick of an unbelievable eye. From that point on, I just didn't like nor care for anyone. And story holes? I could drive my car through 'em! I wish the story had maintained its early momentum and come to a satisfying, believable conclusion. But even fantasy has its limits, and I reached mine when the uncle lost any concern for the well-being of his niece. I like Ms. Smith and I think she's a fine writer usually, but this one just seems as though she wasn't sure where to go with the story. Disappointing.

Amazon review found at http://tinyurl.com/2th4tm.

~taminator40

No comments: