Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Ghouls Just Haunt to Have Fun


Ghouls Just Haunt to Have Fun finds MJ, Gilley, and Stephen back on the prowl for ghosties and things that go bump in the night--this time in California, where Gilley has signed MJ up to participate in a haunted antiques show. The trio barely arrive before they stumble upon a dead body at the swanky hotel where they are staying, and that's just the beginning of their troubles. More than one former spectral guest is hanging around, there is an assortment of haunted items about, and a few more bodies are found. Oh, did I mention that there's a demon on the loose?
Ghouls Just Haunt to Have Fun, while not breaking any new ground in the series, is still a fun ride as we find MJ using her medium powers to help stranded souls across and track down those who have chosen to remain grounded. The introduction of Heath, a fellow medium, adds a nice stir to the mix as well. The relationship between MJ and Stephen doesn't advance much in this installment, but it seems as strong as ever as it plays out in the background. The atmosphere is creepy, though I found the pace of the action to not be as quick as I wanted. And while I did enjoy the story, I felt the ending was told more than shown, particularly when it came to the demon aspect. I also felt the ultimate solution to the murders came a bit out of nowhere; while I didn't guess ahead of time who the culprit was, I was let down by the revelation. Still, I did enjoy my time spent with MJ and the gang, and will be picking up the next in the series when it becomes available. This one would actually rate 3.5 stars if given the option. Enjoyable.
~taminator40

No comments: