Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side

My newest review is of the Vine book, Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey (think that's her real last name? I'm doubtful). I chose this one from the Amazon Vine program because it's young adult (a favorite of mine) and it contains vampires (also a favorite...oh, come on, you knew that). It turned out to be a good choice. After a bit of a rocky start (I disliked how Lucius, the vampire, spoke in the beginning--I'm not big on fake snobbery), I found myself very caught up in the action.

Short synopsis? Jessica Packwood is just starting her senior year of high school when a very odd exchange student (who happens to be wearing a velvet jacket/cape), turns up, seeming to be stalking her. While that alone would freak a girl out, when Lucius shares the fact that he's actually a vampire, and she is too, Jessica becomes determined to not give in to his charms. Lucius has been sent to woo Jessica because their parents signed a pact eighteen years before that would unite both their vampiric families and bring peace to the vampire nation. Jessica's having none of it, though--she's got her sights set on hottie Jake and she's certainly not going to honor some weird pact her biological parents signed.

The story is action filled, and the author does a terrific job of building tension between the two. Jessica slowly realizes her heart is changing, but unfortunately, so does Lucius; the twists are unique as the couple finds their way to one another. I didn't care for the climax so much because I felt it was very abrupt, but in general this is a delightful book that achieved its purpose: it kept me turning the pages and engaged in the lives of its main characters.

A fuller review of mine can be found at amazon at http://www.amazon.com/review/R21MODHLNFF4QN/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm. I'm glad I chose this book, and it's good to be able to recommend a teen vampire novel to those who love Twilight.

~taminator40

No comments: