Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Monday, October 29, 2007

The Sacrifice


The Sacrifice by Kathleen Benner Duble is a young adult entry into the Salem Witch Trials genre. It's a fast, easy read; I picked it up and finished it within a day. There are bits about it that bug me, most of which have to do with giving the narrator a modern penchant for speaking up and breaking the rules. Why on earth do authors do this? Do they think we won't read more realistically written stories?
That being said, however, I really enjoyed this fast-moving story and I liked especially that Abigail, our heroine, was based on an actual ancestor of the author's. I feel that the author achieved her purpose, which was to introduce the Salem Witch Trials to the pre-teen (not young adult) set in such a way that leaves no doubt as to the helplessness and hysteria of the times. I've reviewed it at amazon at http://tinyurl.com/yozfql.
Next up is a book I need to review for Amazon Vine, and hopefully it'll be a fast read. I've finally returned to enough time to read, so I'm set to find some books that truly engage.
~taminator40

No comments: