Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Saturday, October 04, 2008

The Time of Singing


Reading a new Elizabeth Chadwick novel is always a treat, and The Time of Singing is no exception. This is the story of Roger Bigod, Earl of Norfolk during the time of Henry II, and his wife Ida, who was a former reluctant mistress to said Henry. Chadwick follows Bigod as he grows from a young man who defies his father through the years when he struggled to regain his earldom and finally into the early time of King John's reign. As a stand-up man who had a bit of a thing for elaborate headgear (insert large grin here), Bigod springs to life under Chadwick's excellent writing skills. I can never recommend her novels enough, and this one is no exception. Unfortunately at this time, The Time of Singing isn't available in the U.S., but it's well worth the cost to obtain a copy through amazon.uk. Historical fiction isn't being written today by anyone better than Elizabeth Chadwick. She very much deserves to be as popular as Philippa Gregory, and in my humble opinion, even more so.
I'm the first to review TTOS on amazon.uk! Follow this link to learn a bit more about this outstanding piece of historical fiction: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1847440975/ref=cm_cr_thx_view.
What to read next? Whatever it is, it'll pale in comparison.
~taminator40

2 comments:

Marg said...

This is the next book that I am planning to read. I received it a couple of days ago, but I just need to finish my overdue library book, and then the way is clear!

Andi said...

I've never read Chadwick, but someone recently told me I should. Was it you? lol My memory is blown.