Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Sunday, May 18, 2008

From Dead to Worse


Did I ever mention that I like vampire books?
Okay, seriously, I do have a thing for vampires and I love a well-written vampire novel. Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire Mysteries fills the bill (ha, I just made myself laugh; if you've read the books, you'll understand) nicely. As I told Jeff when I first picked this one up, just days after the release date, there's simply nothing better than the next book in a beloved series where you feel like you are visiting with old friends, and this one is no exception. Except....
Except that this one has about ten different plots happening and the action rises and falls in aggravating spurts. Everyone checks in, which is good, but this is definitely a transition novel in the series. Don't get me wrong, I loved it, if for nothing more than another visit with Sookie and her abilities, supernatural friends, and the atmosphere. Harris also does a credible job of weaving Hurricane Katrina and that devastation into the storyline, and for that I give her props. I just wish this book had had more of a focus. Oh, well, still fun, still Sookie, still better than a bunch of stuff I've read lately. I can look forward to the next release with hopes that we'll be back in a mess and Sookie will be back in Eric's vampiric arms.
My amazon review is found at http://tinyurl.com/5ghhqn. Apparently I'm not alone in my slight disappointment in this entry.
~taminator40

No comments: