Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Battle of the Bulge

Battle of the Bulge by Rick Atkinson is apparently an adaptation of an adult series, reworked for a much younger audience. I haven't read the adult books, so I have only my reading of this book for reference. I chose this book from Amazon Vine because I like learning about World War II and this is one episode I admit to knowing little about.

What I Learned: A lot. For someone who didn't know much, I now understand Hitler's reasonings for this offensive, and how the Allies reacted to it (sometimes valiantly, sometimes waiting too long). There were some wonderful quotes that put things in perspective, particularly from Eisenhower. There was a lot of detail to show how individual soldiers were lost and how some refused to go down without a fight. I definitely came away with a clearer understanding of the Battle of the Bulge and a deeper respect for those who thwarted Hitler's last major ground offensive.

What I Didn't Get: There is almost no way the average 8-12 year old would find this book interesting, though I know a few might. The details that an older person would love often weigh the narrative down, creating an atmosphere of just too much intricate information. The back and forth of the chapters from either the Allies' or Hitler's points of view is often jarring; maps scattered throughout might help, though I did appreciate the ones that were included. For this book to appeal to this age group, a smaller focus would definitely help keep the reader engaged. After a while, even this interested reader began to let all the names of people and places run together. If I was trying to engage a ten year old in all the wonder, madness, and tragedy of World War II, I don't think jumping from place to place and person to person would be the way.

There is a lot of useful information in this book, and the photos are especially captivating. While I personally liked it, I feel that the targeted audience would most likely find it dull and confusing. I would suggest perhaps a 13-14 year old target is more appropriate, and then mostly for research purposes.

~taminator40

No comments: