Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Boundless (Another series you really need to read)

Boundless is the final book in Cynthia Hand's excellent trilogy that began with Unearthly. I've just closed the last page, and I'm already sad. These characters have worked their way into my soul and I'm hoping Ms. Hand finds a way to include them in future tales.

Clara has broken up with Tucker, and she, Christian, and Angela are going to Stanford as the book opens. Clara and Christian are still having visions and they are terrifying, with blood and fighting and swords involved. Angela is also having a vision, but she feels certain she knows how hers will play out...until she turns up pregnant. The Black Watchers are still around, and Clara's brother Jeffrey has turned up, working in a pizza place not far from Stanford. When Clara's father shows up, she and Christian know events are moving to a head, but they still don't know what's coming. There are lots of other things going on as well, including Christian's longing for Clara and her determination to stay away from Tucker (which doesn't always go so well).

One of the best things about this series is the character development Clara experiences over the course of the books. She grows from an unsure teenager to someone who knows she can stand up for herself and those she loves. Her sense of humor is absolutely the best part of the story; I could totally hear her voice in my head and it was dead on with what a teen would say. I also love Christian and his devotion, his willingness to wait; though I always wanted Clara to end up with Tucker, Christian held my heart in a lot of ways.

The beginning of the book is a little slow, but not annoyingly so. Once the action picks up, however, it's next to impossible to put the book down. I actually became reluctant to pick Boundless up again this afternoon, knowing I was so close to finishing it and not wanting to let go. Definitely going on the keeper shelf, this series is probably the best I've accidentally discovered in this genre. Highly recommended!


~taminator40

No comments: