Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Uncommon Reader



As a self-proclaimed bibliophile, I know how irritating it can be to have someone tell you that you need to put a book down and "do something". What, exactly, could be better than traveling, whether through time, space, or relationships? Chit-chatting and small talk? Watching the same mindless television show over and over? But to those who don't read, they will never "get it." I'm doing something and it's far preferable to most anything else I could think of doing.

Such is the premise of Alan Bennett's wonderful novella, The Uncommon Reader. Queen Elizabeth II discovers a love for reading late in life and her new passion is more than puzzling to those around her. To we bibliophiles, it's how we live, but to her family, government, and staff, it's time-consuming and pointless (not to mention the fact that it makes many of them feel unintelligent). Delightfully British, this witty tale takes us through QEII's reading repetoire and leads her to the ultimate conclusion (which I won't divulge here). While I personally had hoped for a bit of a different ending, I am pleased overall and can highly, highly recommend this short sweet book to all my book-loving friends. Pick it up. You're going to love it.

My amazon review is found at http://tinyurl.com/25tp3v.

~taminator40

No comments: